Assignment 1: Front-End Needs Analysis
Due Week 3 and worth 160 points
Imagine that you work for an educational organization or a training department for an organization (e.g., K12, higher education, corporate training, military, or non-profit). Your organization is procuring a new Learning Management System (LMS) for online education or training needs.
Note: You may use aspects of existing processes from either your current or a former place of employment. However, you must remove any and all identifying information that would enable someone to discern the organization[s] that you have used. You may also create and / or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of these assignments.
The following resources may help you with this assignment:
- Article titled “LMS Needs Analysis – Questions To Ask When Reviewing Systems”, located at http://www.funderstanding.com/educators/lms-needs-analysis-questions-to-ask-when-reviewing-systems/
- Article titled “Resources for Procuring the ‘Right’ Learning Management System”, located at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/training-and-development/reference-materials/procuring_lms.pdf
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Describe your organization and explain what kind of education / training it provides.
- Explain the current systems and processes used for education / training in your organization.
- Identify the key internal administrative and educational stakeholders from your organization that will access and / or maintain the LMS. Specify each stakeholder’s role for the LMS.
- Determine at least five (5) key specific needs of the organization that you foresee will benefit from an LMS based upon the stakeholders’ roles. Justify your response.
- Prioritize and classify the needs that you determined in Question 3 in order to select the right LMS for your organization. Justify your response.
- Suggest a strategy for assessing proprietary and open-access LMSs to correspond with the needs of your organization. Provide a rationale for your suggestion.
- Provide at least two (2) reliable, relevant, peer-reviewed references (no more than one  used previously), published within the last five (5) years that support the paper’s claims.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze an organization’s learning needs and rationale for selecting a Learning Management System (LMS).
- Differentiate between proprietary and open-access LMS.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in technology tools to manage learning.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in technology tools to manage learning using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the rubric.