Assignment 3: Teacher Rights, Dismissal, and Discrimination
Due Week 8 and worth 140 points
Research and analyze three (3) separate cases in which a teacher’s individual rights were brought into question or denied; a teacher faced dismissal from his/her teaching position; and an educator was discriminated against. Provide at least two (2) supporting reasons for the decision reached in each case. Explain if you agree with the case ruling and provide details for supporting your reasoning.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Research and analyze three separate (3) cases in which
- a teacher’s individual rights were brought into question or denied;
- a teacher faced dismissal from his / her teaching position;
- and, an educator was discriminated against. Analyze three (3) reasons that the accusation could be legally supported.
- Provide at least two (2) supporting reasons for the decision reached in each case.
- Explain if you agree with the case ruling and provide details for supporting your reasoning.
- Use at least six (6), two (2) per case, peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and many Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the legal framework of the organization of public and private education.
- Explore the principles of case law and legislation related to individual rights of teachers and students and school responsibilities.
- Critique the potential legal liabilities for schools, education personnel, and school districts.
- Recognize and discuss political factors affecting the educational system.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues about education and the law.
- Write clearly and concisely about education and the law using correct grammar and mechanics.