Welcome to the first assignment!
Before you begin this assignment, please review the course materials from the first three weeks of class with a special focus on the three mainstream theoretical perspectives: realism, liberalism, and constructivism. Pay particular attention to the definition of each and avoid pairing them with domestic perceptions of conservatives, liberals, etc. I also recommend reviewing the Week 2 forum.
For this assignment, you will choose a world event from the list below. You can also write about an event of your choosing that’s not on the list — just please write the instructor to make sure it will work for the assignment first (some events might not fit the goal well). In a document, explain which states are involved, as well as any non-state actors, intergovernmental organizations, or non-governmental organizations (all the types of actors are listed in the Lessons). You can present these as a “cast of characters” if you wish. Also identify a few of the key individuals involved. Then lastly, and here’s the tricky part, decide which theory would best explain the event and explain your choice. Be sure to define the theory using our class sources. Your response should be 3 – 5 paragraphs.
- The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and/or the US’ response to the attack
- The 2018 North-Korea/US Summit with Trump and Kim Jong-un
- How the international community responded to the Ebola crisis in West Africa’s states (2014-2016)
- The 2018 Winter Olympics/North-South Korea relations in the 2018 Winter Olympics
- The Arab Spring (2010-)
- Brexit (voted upon in 2016; the execution thereof and debates are ongoing)
- The US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003
- The Paris Agreement and/or the US withdrawal from the Paris Agreement
- The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (popularly known as the “Iran nuclear deal”)
- If you want to write about an event or relationship that’s not on this list, feel free! Please write the instructor to check that it will work for the goals of the assignment.
Note: Due to students putting documents on sites like Course Hero, the following topics will not be permitted: the Cold War, the Korea War, Russian hacking of US computers, and the 2016 Attacks in Paris, France. All submissions are compared to those posted on such websites.
Other tips and requirements:
- There is no need to discuss politics or your personal political views, only the international relations theories.
- You may wish to search for background information on the topics, but some of them are discussed in our readings by Wilkinson. If you search for background information, make sure that the site or resource used is reputable (avoid Wikipedia). I recommend using the online library.
- Please be sure to put quotation marks around material copied word-for-word from another source and to cite the source. Also, cite paraphrased information.
- Please include your last name in the filename and upload your work as a .doc or .docx file.
- Use font Times 12.
- Your submission is due by Sunday of week 4.
Looking forward to your insights! As always, please send any questions to me via Messages. I’m happy to help you pursue the best grade:)