Week 4 Discussion – Rose v. Council for Better Education
Access and read the two cases below:
- Rose v. Council for Better Education
After accessing the website, click the name of the case at the top of the page to access the full case.
- Pauley v. Lincoln County Schools
Rose v. Council for Better Education was a very important case in Kentucky in 1989. Compare this case to the second, commonly called the “Recht Decision” in West Virginia in the early 1980s. This case addressed several things, but school finance and school aid formula were among them.
- What do you see as common themes throughout these two cases?
- What are some differences?
- Had you been the judge, how would you have ruled in each case?
- Do you believe the rulings were fair? Why or why not?
Your initial responses are due by 11:55 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday and should be between 200-250 words. The initial posting should be a statement of your point of view on the question, supported by the required readings.