Pick any store in California and do the following:
Your task is to observe a retail environment. Go to a local retail store of your choice (grocery, clothing, outdoor goods, etc.) and take notes on the store design and layout.
1. Describe the exterior of the store (architecture, window displays, signage, etc.)
2. Describe the interior of the store:
o Overall layout of the store including number and layout of aisles, how products are categorized, colors, feature areas, use of furniture and open space.
o Find an area in the store that is out of the way where you can unobtrusively observe and take notes for 15-20 minutes. Things to observe: customer flow, shopping patterns, behaviors, what advertisements or end caps customers are gravitating towards, overall store atmosphere.
After you have finished your observation and collected notes write a 1 page (minimum) essay describing the design choices you observed for this store and answering the following questions:
1. What type of customer experience does the design of this store aim to give? Is it successful? Why or why not?
2. Does this store have a free flow or boutique style layout?
3. What type of customer traffic or flow patterns did you observe? How would these patterns be affected by a change in the layout?
4. Do you have any recommendations for the store on how to change their store design or layout? Include a detailed floor plan of your recommendations. If you do not have any recommendations include a detailed floor plan of the current design and explain what parts are successful.