Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Scenario for Assignments 1-3
Assume that you are the curriculum designer for a school district. The school board has requested that several teams develop proposals for new curricula to meet newly established state standards. You and your team must develop the first proposal to provide as a pilot or model for the other teams. You have to first identify a specific curriculum area not currently used in the school district that would greatly benefit the students in the district. Use the Internet or the Strayer Library as well as your textbook to develop a pilot curriculum for a specific discipline area (reading, math, science, etc.) or grade level (K-12) at a local school district.
Assignment 1: Curriculum Inception
Due Week 3 and worth 180 points
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Describe the school district for which the pilot curriculum will be developed using information for the school district’s publications and / or Website, addressing the following characteristics: (a) geographical location, (b) demographics of the student population, (c) cultural influences (peer culture, race, ethnicity, regional), regional accrediting body standards for curriculum development, (d) state and / or local policies and practices related to curriculum development.
- Describe the specific discipline and grade level(s) for which the pilot curriculum will be developed.
- Provide a rationale that proposes three (3) benefits to the students of the pilot curriculum.
- Provide at least four (4) core instructional goals of the curriculum, providing a rationale for the goals.
- Use at least three (3) relevant, scholarly references published in the last seven (7) years. (Note: Wikipedia and other non-government Websites do not qualify as scholarly resources. Review the supplementary readings listed on the first page of the course guide for possible references.)
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify the key elements of curriculum design and development.
- Compare the philosophical foundations of curriculum.
- Develop the strategies and techniques to support curriculum planning.
- Design curriculum plan for a current or future school setting.
- Create implementation approaches for curriculum.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in curriculum planning.
- Write clearly and concisely about curriculum design and development using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.