Cultural Competence in the Classroom
Nikhil Goyal is a successful high school student who, like many students his age, hates school. But unlike most students his age, Nikhil wrote a speech about it and delivered it to a global audience his presentation The central theme of the presentation is relevance and, specifically, how schools often lack relevance to the lives of their learners.
In this assignment, you will reflect on the story of Nick Perez and analyze it based on what might have happened differently if Nick’s education targeted the learning of 21st century skills through culturally relevant learning opportunities. Additionally, you will recommend a culturally relevant learning experience that might have been able to meet Nick’s needs in high school. Review the Instructor Guidance for this week for additional information and use the Ladson-Billing (1995; summarized in the Instructor Guidance) resource and Chapters 4 and 8 of Wardle (2013) to define a culturally relevant learning experience; apply this framework to the creation of solutions. Then, create your paper to meet the content and written communication expectations stated below.
In your paper, include the following: (3 points)
- Address the following three guiding statements:
- Discuss the learning experiences and cultural competencies that you believe were valued at Nick’s school, based on the information presented in the video. According to Nick, “I was denied the right to exist normally. My school had wasted my time until there was no time left.”
- Discuss the cultural competencies and learning experiences that would be most applicable and interesting to Nick using his interest in computers as a form of his cultural identity (think about the way that he described his life at home and at computer camp).
- Determine which of the 4C skills (i.e.,creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, communication, and collaboration that are presented in ) Break down which you perceive are most likely relevant to Nick’s current position as a programmer in an advertising firm and which of these skills you perceive are not adequately addressed in typical classroom environments today.
- Summarize how the acquisition of learning and innovation skills through culturally relevant learning opportunities can lead to greater student success in the classroom and in the real world.
- (1.5 points): Summarizes cultural competencies in your response to the Video Analysis guiding statements. Include examples using at least one of the following four characteristics:
- Awareness of one’s own cultural worldview (including biases)
- Knowledge of different cultural practices and worldviews
- Positive attitudes and open-mindedness toward cultural differences
- Ability to work successfully with others from different cultures
- References (1.5 points): Summarize culturally relevant instruction in your response to the Video Analysis guiding statements. Propose strategies that align with this approach and include at least one of the following nine areas:
- Maximizing academic success through relevant instructional experiences
- Addressing cultural competence through reinforcing students’ cultural integrity
- Involving students in the construction of knowledge
- Building on students’ interests and linguistic resources
- Tapping home and community resources
- Understanding students’ cultural knowledge
- Using interactive and constructivist teaching strategies
- Examining the curriculum from multiple perspectives
- Promoting critical consciousness through opportunities to challenge predominant elements of the students’ social norms
- (1 point): Summarize 21st century skills in your response to the Video Analysis items to reflect the
- Must be two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted