Week 1 Assignment
Application: Case Management Models
When case management first evolved as an occupation, there existed no models or theories from which to learn. Case managers simply observed their clients and provided services based upon their perceptions of the clients’ needs. As time went by, researchers began to organize case managers’ practices into prominent models that are used today. Some of these models include the task-centered model, assertive model, relational psychoanalytic model, empowerment model, and strengths-based model. Each case management model presents a unique approach to the case management process for a variety of clients. For example, the strengths-based model is the cornerstone on which most case management models are built. This model seeks to empower clients through attention to relationships between case managers and clients and the establishment of client autonomy. Each model can be effective with certain clients, and it is up to case managers to determine which model is most appropriate for their clients.
This week’s Course Media introduces you to three case studies that you use throughout the course. Each week, you apply new concepts to address the needs illustrated in each case.
To Prepare for this Assignment:
- Review Chapter 2, “Overview of a Case Management Practice.” Pay particular attention to the descriptions of the case management models.
- Review “Strength-Based Case Management: Implementation with High-Risk Youth.” Focus on the description of strengths-based case management and how the model was adapted for use with adolescents.
- Review “A Relational Psychoanalytic Model for Case Management: A Literature Review.” Consider the relational psychoanalytic model, with its emphasis on the importance of relationships with clients.
- Review “A Solution-Focused Approach to Case Management and Recovery with Consumers Who Have a Severe Mental Disability.” Focus on the description of the new perspective on goals for those with severe mental disabilities.
- Select two case management models and consider their strengths and weaknesses.
- Review the media titled Virtual Client Case Files in this week’s Learning Resources. Consider how each model might be applied to the case studies.
The Assignment (1–2 pages)
- Briefly describe the two case management models you selected.
- Explain two strengths and two weaknesses in the two case management models.
- Explain how each case management model might be applied to the case studies.