Review this week’s Instructor Guidance for additional information about completing this assignment. Contact your instructor for clarifications about this or any assessment in the course before the due date using the “Ask Your Instructor” forum. Then, also using the Grading Rubric as a guide for your performance on this assignment, construct your assignment to meet each of the content and written communication expectations.
Review your assignment with the Grading Rubric to be sure you have achieved the distinguished levels of performance for each criterion and submit the assignment for evaluation no later than Day 7.
Analyzing Cultural Relevance in Instruction In Chapter 12, Wardle (2013) summarizes the important characteristics of a culturally relevant teacher. Use this information as a guide or resource throughout this assignment to help inspire your thinking as you apply your knowledge of culturally relevant pedagogy toward specific solutions to problems facing a teacher with a very diverse student population. This exercise provides excellent practice over the application of culturally relevant principles in the design of effective instructional solutions. You will need to design such instructional solutions within the Final Project, so it is very important to practice such skills here. Specifically, for this assignment, you will view a brief video taken with a cell phone by a student in a high school social studies class. Student “Jeff Bliss” Mad at Teacher at Duncanville HighLinks to an external site. (Bliss, 2013) documents a meltdown Bliss experienced during his World History course at Duncanville High School in Duncanville, Texas.
Review the Instructor Guidance before this task. In your paper, include the following:
· Address the items below based on your inferences and ideas after viewing the events captured in the cellphone video. (2 points)
o Describe the problem from Jeff Bliss’s perspective as well as from Ms. Phung’s perspective.
o Explain what probably caused it.
o Identify who benefits and who loses.
o Indicate your position on this issue.
o Discuss how a more equitable, culturally relevant approach to the class could improve the situation.
o Express how Ms. Phung might respond differently to Jeff’s concerns.
o Describe any equity strategies you noticed or inferred being implemented in the video. (2.5 points)
o Suggest at least one strategy for each of the following four categories that the teacher could have utilized to help meet student needs in a more equitable fashion:
§ Classroom Environment
§ Student Grouping
§ Student Recognition/leadership
o Describe evidence of any culturally relevant pedagogy in action in the cellphone video. (2.5. points)
o List at least three strategies that could be used to create a more culturally relevant classroom. Such strategies might be drawn from the following areas:
§ Maximizing academic success through relevant instructional experiences
§ Addressing cultural competence through reinforcing students’ cultural integrity
§ Involving students in the construction of knowledge
§ Building on students’ interests and linguistic resources
§ Tapping home and community resources
§ Understanding students’ cultural knowledge
§ Using interactive and constructivist teaching strategies
§ Examining the curriculum from multiple perspectives
§ Promoting critical consciousness through opportunities to challenge predominant elements of the students’ social norms
· Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing CenterLinks to an external site..
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must use at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed, credible sources in addition to the course text.
o The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
· (1 point)
Wardle, F. (2013). Human relationships and learning in the multicultural environment. [Electronic version]. Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu/
- Chapter 10: Strategies for Creating Culturally Relevant Classrooms
- Chapter 12: Becoming a Multicultural Teacher in the 21st Century
Bliss, J. (2013, May 8). Student “Jeff Bliss” mad at teacher at DuncanvilleLinks to an external site. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsUj4DqWfU
- This video provides information about a student who became frustrated with his teacher and will assist you in the Discussions and Assignment this week, as well as future Assignments.
- Accessibility StatementLinks to an external site.
Framework for 21st century learningLinks to an external site.. (2007). Retrieved from http://www.p21.org/our-work/p21-framework
- This article provides information about 21st Century Learning and will assist you in the Discussions and the Assignment this week, as well as in future weeks.
Southeast Michigan Stewardship CoalitionLinks to an external site.. (2017). Case studies: Shared stories on place-based education. Retrieved from http://semiscoalition.org/shared-stories/
- This website provides information about innovative schools that are incorporating 21st century skills and funds of knowledge and will assist you in the Discussions and Assignment this week, as well future Assignments.
Irvine, J. (2009). Relevant: Beyond the basics.Links to an external site. Teaching Tolerance. Retrieved from http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-36-fall-2009/feature/relevant-beyond-basics
- This article provides information about incorporating cultural competence and will assist you in the Discussions and Assignment this week, as well as future Assignments.
Ladson-Billings, G. (1995). But that’s just good teaching! The case for culturally relevant pedagogy [PDF]. Theory Into Practice, 34(3), 159-165. Retrieved from https://nationalequityproject.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ladson-billings_1995.pdf
- The full-text version of this article is available through the Proquest database in the Ashford University Library. This article provides information about issues related to cultural relevance, funds of knowledge, and teaching may assist you in the Discussions and Assignment this week, as well as future Assignments.
TeachingTolerance. (2010, June 17). Introduction to culturally relevant pedagogyLinks to an external site. [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTVjJuRaZ8
- This video provides information about how to incorporate culturally relevant pedagogy and will assist you in the Discussions and Assignment for this week, as well as future Assignments.